Tuesday, September 18, 2012

When to Quench the Writing Bug

The hardest thing to do sometimes is bring an inspired moment to a halt because you know you have to get ready for tomorrow's work day so you can be reasonably aware and alert and productive. I am in one of those moments right now. The words and creativity are flowing to the pace of the scintillating rhythm of the instrumental jazz I always listen to when I write. (Did I mention that I keep my saxophones next to me while writing also? The greatest thing I have learned about myself as a writer is that the study of music aids my writing. When I need a break, I will blow on my tenor or my alto sax and practice reading music...it works for me like nothing else as far as inspiration but I digress). My point with this post is to communicate how hard it is for a writer to cut off that flow . Often I won't but I haven't made it to the big time so that my writing pays the bills yet so I continue to do what I do, which is labor as a firefighter. And yes I value what I do before anyone doubts that reality. However, I am more than 20 years into this phase of my life and am transitioning slowly into what I will do for the rest of my years, which is primarily write. At any rate, that is a glimpse into a small portion of my world...I'm going to to get ready for work now. Have a good night everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment